Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Eclipse, take five…

As the few of you that actually reads my blog already know, I have quit my job in Telenor and started as a consultant again. My new employer is Net Professionals, and my first assignment is for a company that both use IntelliJ, Eclipse or whatever you want to use. But in this project all developers uses Eclipse, but I was free to use IntelliJ. I felt that this could be a good chance to learn to use and like Eclipse, even though that I have tried four times earlier without being convinced. But this time the version is 3.1 and it looks even better that the last time, so I am (trying) to be optimistic and starting up Eclipse and getting ready to do some real work.

One week later...
I am back using IntelliJ.

What is that makes Eclipse so popular. It’s free and that’s nice, but if you are a professional developer using your IDE or Editor many hours a day, $499 is not that much. The main advantage Eclipse has over IntelliJ is the wealth of good plugin’s. While IntelliJ have some nice ones, my favorite being TestDox, it is still far behind Eclipse. But as coders IDE IntelliJ shines, except for the ugly look and feel used by the 5 version. I wonder when I will try Eclipse for the sixth time…

No comments: